Boiler Improvement Plan
A £3.9 billion investment package was presented as part of the Heat and Buildings Strategy to aid in lowering domestic carbon emissions, and it includes the government’s boiler upgrade programme. Heat pumps, which are more environmentally friendly than natural gas boilers, can be purchased for UK houses with government funding.
From April 2022 to April 2025, the Boiler Upgrade Scheme will be in effect. It will replace the Domestic RHI Scheme, which on March 31, 2022, will stop accepting new applications.
The government will provide up to £5,000 in funding to homeowners for air source heat pumps. A voucher will be given to applicants, which must be used within three months. As a result, the heat pump has to be installed before the deadline.
Do I Qualify for the Boiler Upgrade Program?
All homeowners, small landlords, and private landlords are eligible for the incentive.
All applicants, however, must have a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) with no outstanding loft or cavity wall insulation recommendations. Typically, this EPC was issued within the last 10 years.
If the installation of these types of insulation was finished during the validity period of the voucher, as shown by a freshly generated EPC at the voucher redemption stage, homeowners with outstanding recommendations for loft or cavity wall insulation may still apply.
Scots Warmer Homes
The Scottish programme Warmer Homes offers UK households struggling to pay their energy bills and stay warm potential assistance for heat pumps in addition to other energy-efficiency incentives. Assessors will inspect your home to see whether converting to more affordable renewable heating systems like air source heat pumps will result in cost savings.
In most circumstances, the Scottish government will foot the entire bill. Keep in mind that financing cannot be acquired for previously finished projects. In some circumstances, more expensive improvements would need consumer contributions. You can obtain a loan with no interest to help with the costs of the consumer contribution.
Am I Eligible for Financial Assistance from Warmer Homes Scotland?
If you satisfy all of the requirements listed below, you may be eligible for heat pump funding :
- You are a private sector landlord’s homeowner or tenant.
- Your principal house is the home you want an air source heat pump for.
- You’ve occupied the property for at least a year (unless in receipt of a DS1500 certificate).
- You reside in a house with a floor space of no more than 230 square metres and an energy rating of 67 or below.
- Your home satisfies the tolerable living standard specified in the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006, or you live in a house that doesn’t, but that won’t affect how well the suggested energy-saving measures work.
- From the past five years, you have not benefited from this financing.
Get quotes from local heat pump installers, compare them, and decide which one would work best with the available subsidies to maximise your savings before applying for government grants.
Household Energy Scotland Program
The Scottish government’s project to end fuel poverty, Home Energy Scotland, is actually the larger programme that Warmer Homes Scotland is a part of. The programme provides interest-free loans to cover the upfront expenditures of renewable energy sources, including ground- and air-source heat pumps.
When you install renewable energy sources through this programme, you might receive up to £17,500 interest-free. Depending on the type of renewable system you select, you may also receive a payback of up to 75%.
Is the Home Energy Scotland Scheme Funding Available to Me?
You must satisfy the following requirements in order to be eligible for this programme:
- With up to £7,500 in payback financing, your loan can pay for up to two renewable energy systems per home for a total of £17,500. You may also submit an application for an additional £500 for a heat metre if you’re installing a heat pump.
- Additionally, you can apply for funding to pay the up to £6,000 price of an energy storage system.
- For eligible renewable heating technology, cashback financing is also an option.
- Cashback grants are limited to the maximum amount specified and can only cover up to 75% of the total cost of the improvement, whichever is smaller.
- With your loan, a single whole-house heating system may be funded.
Welsh Nest Scheme
If you qualify, the Welsh Government’s Nest Scheme offers a variety of free, unbiased guidance along with a package of free home energy efficiency upgrades including air source heat pumps. You can take advantage of air source heat pump funds offered by Nest, which are intended to lessen climate change, alleviate fuel poverty, and promote economic growth in Wales.
If you qualify, Nest may pay the full cost of your air source heat pump.
Do I Qualify for Funding Through Wales’ Nest Scheme?
- Regardless of whether you own the property or rent it from a private landlord, your home is inefficient and expensive to heat (not a council or housing association).
- You or a household member receives a means-tested benefit
- You have a low income and a persistent respiratory, circulatory, or mental health issue.
Grant for Green Homes (Closed)
On March 31, 2021, the Green Homes Grant came to an end. If the applicant had a family member who received benefits, the voucher covered 100% of the expenses of the preferred upgrades up to £10,000 in total. The £5,000 grant voucher normally covered up to two-thirds of the cost of the selected renovations.